Did you know?
- 40% of Americans, when asked, consider themselves lonely.
- 25% of americans have no one they can talk to
- 50% of american have no one they can confide in outside of their family
- Most people only have 2 people in the whole world they can confide in.
Loneliness is deadlier than obesity and as deadly as smoking.
We all also know that loneliness leads to isolation, negative thoughts, heightened perceived stress, impaired sleep as well as many other ailments. Fact it, nobody wants to feel lonely. But it’s hard to determine how to reverse it.
1. If you’re lonely, you’re not alone.
2. If you’re lonely admitting it doesn’t make you weak.
I’d encourage you to take the first step in reaching out to a lonely person today. Even if you are one. Connect with an old friend. Reach out to a new one.
Connecting for the first time or the first time in a long time can feel like a significant amount of effort with little payoff. But we have a deep need to be in relationships with one another. In the long run it will be worth it.
- join a social club or team
- make office chit chat a regular part of your work schedule
- find a church/faith community to be part of